[DRBD-user] Decent shared storage setup for virtualization

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Feb 15 13:46:52 CET 2011

On 02/15/2011 07:15 AM, Mike Lovell wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 08:29 PM, yvette hirth wrote:
>> Mike Lovell wrote:

>>> there are several more to read through. the basics i got from glancing
>>> threads like these in the past is that bonding does okay for 2
>>> interfaces but there isn't huge gains when going to 4 interfaces. also,
>>> considering that a 4 port ethernet card is gonna cost about 200 on the
>>> cheap end and can go much higher, using a older infiniband card or a
>>> 10gig-e card can make sense. there has been talk of inifiniband cards
>>> that can do 10gbps for under $200 on the list but i haven't actually
>>> done it myself. maybe someone else can chime in on that. i've also seen
>>> 10gig-e gear for under $500.
>>
>> the big cost is the switches. 10g switches, even small ones, start at
>> around $3k and go up from there.
>>
>> for a while mellanox had a ddr ib "kit", with four or so cards, sfp's,
>> cables, and the switch, for around $6-7k. while that's still a big budget
>> bite to swallow, $7k to network 4 boxes at 20gbps is a fab deal.
>
> for just a 2 server set up, switches aren't needed. at least not for
> 10gig-e. the 10gig-e nics i tried could just be used with a cable between
> them and it auto-detected the crossover. i would guess infiniband is
> similar. larger than 2 server set ups will require switching and get more
> expensive. i was assuming that the context of the question was just about
> the link for drbd between the servers and not the connectivity to the rest
> of the network.

I'm interested in both the inter-node connection for replication and the
connection to the clients though I think the replication link is easier to
setup. The connection to the clients is worrying me more because I have no
good feeling of what the I/O load from lots of VMs will be like. That's why
we are first testing this with 8-bay systems and regular gbit cards to see
what the actual real-world performance is and then decide if we can go for
16-bay systems servicing more VMs or additional 8-bay twin setups or if we
need to more closely look at 10gbit/infiniband.

I guess the fact that I don't have any experience with shared storage for
virtualization and that I don't have a decent testing setup right now makes
me a bit paranoid. Once I got my hands on the 8-bay twin setup I'll do some
thorough testing though with various disk and networking configurations to
see what I can get out of this.

Regards,
   Dennis