[DRBD-user] Newbie

Chris Barnes chris-barnes at tamu.edu
Wed Feb 9 18:58:58 CET 2011

First, I hope this is ok to post this question in this email list...
Secondly, I have been reading the Users Guide at
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ - but still have a few "before I start"
type of questions.

I am wanting to create a high-availability cluster and I *think* DRBD is
what I am looking for.   But I'm not quite sure.

My *thought* was to use DRBD to mirror the /home filesystem between the
2 machines - but I have someone working for me that is saying the DRBD
mirrors "entire systems".   If he is correct, wouldn't that mean that 2
computers would require the exact same hardware?

Or am I not even thinking of DRBD in the correct terms?  After all, a
"true high availability cluster" would mean my down time is measured in
seconds, right?   I would not have that if all I am mirroring is /home...

My systems (if it matters):
I have one disk array (10TB, Raid5+1) with /home on it's own filesystem
using 7.2T (according to the df command).  This machine is in production
and has been in use for a couple of years now.

I have another system that is completely blank and ready to configure
any way that makes sense.  It has 2 250gb drives in a hardware Raid0,
and 8 2tb drives in a hardware Raid5 (currently Raid5+3 - trying to give
me 8tb of space).

So - where do I start?
By that I mean - I am unsure of even how to partition the drives on the
new system:  do I use LVM, or attempt to use partitions similar to the
old system?  Does it matter?

--
Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris-barnes at tamu.edu                Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Computer Systems Manager               MSN IM: chris at txbarnes.com
Department of Physics                      ph: 979-845-1379
Texas A&M University                      fax: 979-845-2590