[DRBD-user] DRBD write after write (cache)

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Feb 9 20:18:23 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 12:51:24PM -0600, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 4:45 AM, ionral <daniele.nuzzo at email.it> wrote:
>
> > if I check the status of drbd the following response is:
> >
> >  0: cs: Connected ro: Primary / Primary ds: UpToDate / UpToDate C r ----
> >    ns: 640864680 nr: 135234784 dw: 776099464 dr: 1520599328 al: 836478 bm:
> > 2185 lo: 0 pe: 0 ua: 0 ap: 0 ep: 1 wo: b OOS: 0
> >
> > I do not know if it is positive that the method is to write after is
> > Barrier
> > .... reading the manuals of drbd I noticed that in these cases (BBU)
> > performance would be better for a wo:n
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> Modify your drbd.conf to look more like:
>
>   disk {
>     on-io-error   detach;
>     # It is good to have backed up write caches
>     no-disk-barrier;
>     no-disk-flushes;
>     no-disk-drain;

Do not use "no-disk-drain", unless you are absolutely sure that nothing
in the IO stack below DRBD could possibly reorder writes.

>     no-md-flushes;
>     use-bmbv;

With recent DRBD (>= 8.3.8), use-bmbv is a no-op.

With older DRBD, it can cause spurious detaches
on the Secondary, so don't use that either,
unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

--
: Lars Ellenberg