[DRBD-user] Best replication link - 10Gbit ethernet, Infiniband, Dolphin

Andreas Kurz andreas at hastexo.com
Tue Dec 27 16:56:57 CET 2011

Hello,

On 12/27/2011 01:54 PM, Phil Stricker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> At the moment, I am thinking about a new system using DRBD (Xenserver with VMs using databases).
>
> To get higher throughput and lower latencies, I wanted to stop using 1 Gbit Ethernet as replication link and started to read posts about DRBD with alternative connections like:
>
> - 10 Gbit/s Ethernet
> - Infiniband (IPoIB)
> - Dolphin
>
> 10 Gbit Ethernet would be the "easiest" an cheapest solution, but is it a good idea to use it?

I successfully integrated several 10Gb/s setups and they work fine. Easy
to setup and tune and well supported if you use one of the "usual
suspects" regarding vendor.

With infiniband/dolphin you can get lower latency and with
sdp/supersockets also higher bandwith but they are typically more
complicated to setup/tune.

Regards,
Andreas

--