[DRBD-user] Resizing while Secondary is OFF-Line?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Dec 12 12:49:10 CET 2011

On Monday 12 December 2011 12:23:06 Felix Frank wrote:
> > Is there an explanation why it's not working? Even then when I'll
> > setup the upcoming secondary from scratch?
> oh it *does* work, but not while your resource is up. If a downtime is
> acceptable, then there's no problem.

When the drbd is active with only one node, resizing shouldn't be a problem.
The second node, once its set up, should have a underlying device of equal
size though. But assuming you start drbd in a single-node first, grow that once
you realize there is not enough space, then set up the second node and sync to
that, there shouldn't be a problem. In fact I did the exact same but without
the resize, saving network transfer by only syncing a populated and 50% filled
filesystem instead of syncing random numbers before mkfs.

Have fun,

Arnold