[DRBD-user] Resizing while Secondary is OFF-Line?

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon Dec 12 10:14:24 CET 2011

Hi,

On 12/12/2011 08:22 AM, Christian Völker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a two-node pri/sec setup here. Currently the secondary is
> offline and I when it'll go online it'll be a fresh installed node.
> Full sync then.
>
> But I need to increase the size of the primary device now.
>
> Having read http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-resizing.html I now
> don't fulfill the second criteria as the primary is not in state
> "Connected"- instad in WFConncetion (as expected).
>
> Now I'm unsure if I can easily grow the device while online. Or do I
> have to go the off-line way (using internal meta-data)?
>
> Any hint?
>
> Otherwise I'd expect just to grow the underlying LVM and then do a
> "drbadm resize drbd0". Will this do any harm?

yes, I'm afraid so.

As you've read, growing a DRBD when not in Connected state means you
have to do it offline, i.e. take the DRBD out of commission until the
(gory) operation is complete.

If I were in your shoes, I'd desperately look for any workaround that
would allow me to postpone the resize until both nodes are operational.

HTH,
Felix