[DRBD-user] Ussing on-line verification

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Tue Dec 6 14:10:14 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Eduardo Diaz - Gmail <ediazrod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi to all.
>
> I use on-line verification for my drbd instalation but I try find some
> documentation about "message digest algorithm supported by the kernel
> crypto API".

"cat /proc/crypto" will produce a list; you can use any of the
algorithms marked "type: shash".

> First I try to find what algorithm is less CPU use..
>
> I dont find any information only here.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_hash_function
>
> What is the algorithm that use less CPU?

crc32c is just a cheap checksum, not a full-blown crypto hash, but you
can use it for DRBD verification purposes.

> What is the algorithm  that has less probability to have a Collision ?

Feel free to peruse the literature (or google) on that one. For
collision probabilities in SHA-1, for example, this is a rather
amusing appraisal:

http://theblogthatnoonereads.davegrijalva.com/2009/09/25/sha-1-collision-probability/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,