[DRBD-user] rate vs c-min-rate

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Aug 18 12:01:03 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:18:52AM +0200, Łukasz Oleś wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone explain me what is the difference between those two
> parameters(rate and c-min-rate)?
> Is it good idea to set same value to them?

rate (sync-rate, resync-rate) is the upper limit for the rate the resync
process tries to achieve, when NOT using the "dynamic resync rate
controller", introduced in recent drbd versions (recomended: >= 8.3.11
respectively 8.4)

To enable the dynamic resync rate controller, set c-plan-ahead to some
non zero value; defaults to 0 (off) in 8.3, and to 20 (enabled) in 8.4.

If enabled, the resync-rate parameter is only used as initial guess
value, and otherwise pretty much ignored.

This controller basically tries to use as much as c-max-rate bandwidth,
but will automatically throttle, if
 - application IO on the device is detected (READ or WRITE),
   AND the estimated current resync speed is above c-min-rate
   (where c-min-rate = 0 disables this particular throttling condition)
 - the amount of in-flight resync requests exceeds c-fill-target
 - the estimated peer response latency exceeds c-delay-target

Where only one of the conditions of c-fill-target and c-delay-target is
used. If c-fill-target is non-zero, it will be used. If c-fill-target is
set to 0, c-delay-target is used.

c-plan-ahead gives something like the "dampening interval" of the controller,
that is how fast it will ramp up/down.

This is all to try to get as much as possible out of the way of
application IO, to lessen the impact of the resync on
application IO latencies, while still trying to use up as much
"idle bandwidth" as possible.

There is a short paragraph about it in the drbdsetup man page,
and an example use case in the DRBD User's Guide.

--
: Lars Ellenberg