[DRBD-user] recover from a situation

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Sep 24 20:43:52 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 02:35:04PM +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is a situation from which I want either automatic (by the cluster) or
> manually (by the admin) to recover from.
>
> DRBD resource runs on node 1
> shutdown all nodes in a such order which will not cause a failover of the
> resources
> start the node 2 which was secondary prior the shutdown.
>
> As we know DRBD wont let the cluster to start up the drbd resource because
> is marked outdated.
> what would be the correct way to recover from this situation?

If I understand correctly, your scenario is that the only data left is
an outdated secondary, you have catastrophically lost the good data at
the Primary site.

The Outdated one will refuse to be promoted.

That is easily changed by drbdadm -- --force primary $resoucename.

(older drbd versions may need to low-level modify the metadata
with drbdmeta show-gi/set-gi).

You should definetly not automate this, as it would render all the
effort we do to "outdate" disconnected secondaries useless.

--
: Lars Ellenberg