[DRBD-user] drbd stops sync on LVM

Eric Deschamps erdesc at free.fr
Wed Sep 8 13:31:02 CEST 2010

Hi list!

I am trying to sync KVM virtual machines located on LVM spaces.

The first host is a ubuntu 8.04 amd64 server (host 1) and the second is
a ubuntu 10.04 amd64 server, both with original kernels. Drbd api are
not the same on both host  (8.3.0 on host1 and 8.3.7 on host2), but i'm
not sure it can cause any problem.

Another point is that I've had to use external metadata, as I'm using
contiguous LV that I could not extend for some VMs.

I'd like to first migrate all the VM from the first server to the second
one, then upgrade the first one to 10.04 and put the VMs back on host1.

The initial sync works like a charm, but if I stop a VM on host 1 and
start it on host2, it looks like the system is a snapshot from the
initial sync.

Anyway, /proc/drbd on both nodes prints UpToDate/UpToDate as well as
drbdadm.

What could cause this problem ? What am i doing wrong ?

Many thanks for your time,

Eric

=-=-=-= drbd.conf extract =-=-=-=

global {
    usage-count yes;
}

common {
  syncer { rate 24M; }
  protocol C;
}

resource samba {
    device     /dev/drbd1;
    disk       /dev/mapper/rootvol-samba;

  on host1 {
    address    192.168.254.253:7789;
    meta-disk  /dev/mapper/rootvol-meta[0];
  }

  on host2 {
    address   192.168.254.254:7789;
    meta-disk  /dev/mapper/rootvol-meta[0];
  }
}

(other ressources use the same template)