[DRBD-user] File corruption in drbd partition

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Sep 7 15:15:07 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 12:12:08PM +0000, putcha narayana wrote:

> Thanks for responding,
>

> FYI: I have ran stat command to get details of the files whose data is
> seen criss-crossing. I mean content of one file is seen in another.
> Snapshot enclosed at the end, when corruption occured.
>
> Files which have an issue belong to same block,  IO Block: 4096

No, that is the file size in occupied blocks.

> Every corruption seen, content of /repl/firewall/sysconfig/iptables content is seen in /repl/snmpagent/data/snmpd.conf
>

>  How much is "few"?
>
>          Today After 12 failovers. Last run after 80 failovers similar corruption is seen.
>

>  What is the IO load?
>
>     Note exactly sure, When sigterm is received there are 2 processes which write config data to DRBD partition.
>

>  How do you trigger the failover?
>
>    using reboot command
>

> DRBD version, kernel version, file system type?
>
>    DRBD-8.0.16, 2.6.14.7, EXT3-FS
>

>  Volatile caches involved?
>
>        NO
> How often/when do you fsck?
>
>   Every time DRBD-GO-Primary script is called. Before mounting DRBD partition we invoke fsck -fy

That is you do
  primary; fsck /dev/drbd0; mount;
in that order?

The observerd corruption may be caused by a lot of things.
DRBD (in that version) may have an issue.
ext3 (in your kernel version) may have an issue.
the generic write-out path (in your kernel version) may have an issue.
fsck (resp. your version of fsck) may have an issue.
probably many other things I cannot think of right now ;-)

I suggest to repeat your tests with
 * no drbd involved, simply reboot a single box the same way you do now,
   force fsck before the mount.
 * more recent kernel (and distribution?)
 * more recent DRBD version (8.3.8.1) in your current setup
 * more recent DRBD version with newer kernel (and distribution)

To get additional data points.