[DRBD-user] drbd module not correctly loading

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Sep 6 22:04:47 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 01:46:46PM -0400, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I sent something similar twice to the list this weekend but to no
> avail.

You need to subscribe here before you are allowed to post.

> Here a shorter version:
>
> On a Debian/squeeze system running 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 I downloaded
> drbd-8.3.8 from the git repositary, compiled and installed the module
> with module-assistant. When I start drbd I get
>
> Starting DRBD resources:DRBD module version: 8.3.7
>    userland version: 8.3.8
>
> Looks like the system still loads the module from the squeeze kernel
> image package linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 rather than from
> drbd8-module-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64.
>
> When I try to load it manually with insmod I get:
>
> :~# insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-xen-amd64/kernel/drivers/block/drbd.ko
> insmod: error inserting
> '/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-xen-amd64/kernel/drivers/block/drbd.ko':
> -1 Invalid module format
>
> On an identical system (to be used in a pacemaker cluster) I don't
> experience this issue.
>
> Any ideas?

Build error. Maybe module-assistant got something wrong,
or you got something wrong.
Sorry, I know that was not very helpful.

What does "dmesg" say?
It is likely complaining about version magic or something like that.
Double check that you are using the right gcc version,
matching kernel headers, and the right make arguments for your setup.

Or, well, remember what you did differently
on the "identical system that works" (TM).

--
: Lars Ellenberg