[DRBD-user] Best Practice with DRBD RHCS and GFS2?

Colin Simpson Colin.Simpson at iongeo.com
Fri Oct 22 16:33:41 CEST 2010

I'm glad it's not just me that sees this.

I was thinking I would have to write a script to wait for clean DRBD,
but it's not what seems to be recommended, from Linbit and J.Ryan on
this thread.

So still confused on best practice, as it doesn't seem to work for me.

Colin

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 11:52 +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Colin Simpson
> <Colin.Simpson at iongeo.com> wrote:
> >
> > It all works clean if I wait for the drbd to be fully in sync,
> before
> > clvmd is started.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I worked on something similar last year.
> The cluster systems were based on F12 and rhcs 3, but probably still
> applies.
> In my case I modified clvmd with something like this inside the start
> section, probably suboptimal, but working, in my primary/primary
> setup. you can eventually accomodate parameters (NR_ATTEMPTS and sleep
> time) and also resource names to other values (or initially run a
> drbdadm command to get all your resources...)
>
> Instead of original:
>   start)
>         start
>         rtrn=$?
>         [ $rtrn = 0 ] && touch $LOCK_FILE
>         ;;
>

> >       echo -n "Wait for drbd to be UpToDate and Primary:"
> >       DRBD_STATUS=KO
> >       ATTEMPT=0
> >       NR_ATTEMPTS=10
> >       while [ $ATTEMPT -lt $NR_ATTEMPTS ]
> >       do
> >               (( ATTEMPT++ ))
> >               DRBD_DSTATE=$(drbdadm dstate r0 | cut -d "/" -f 1
> 2>> /var/log/drbd_clvmd.log)
> >               DRBD_ROLE=$(drbdadm role r0 | cut -d "/" -f 1
> 2>> /var/log/drbd_clvmd.log)
> >               if [ "$DRBD_DSTATE" != "UpToDate" -o "$DRBD_ROLE" !=
> "Primary"  ]
> >               then
> >                       echo "$(date): $DRBD_DSTATE $DRBD_ROLE"
> >> /var/log/drbd_clvmd.log
> >                       sleep 60
> >               else
> >                       DRBD_STATUS=OK
> >                       continue
> >               fi
> >       done
> >       if [ $DRBD_STATUS = "OK" ]
> >       then
> >               start
> >               rtrn=$?
> >               [ $rtrn = 0 ] && touch $LOCK_FILE
> >       else
> >               exit 1
> >       fi
> >      ;;
>
> So in this case clvmd doesn't try to actually start if after 10
> minutes the drbd resource is not UpToDate AND ALSO primary and the
> clvmd scripts exits 1
>
> Hope that helps in considering possible strategies for your case.
> Gianluca

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original.