[DRBD-user] Procedure to convert internal to external meta data

Theo Band theo.band at greenpeak.com
Thu Oct 14 16:57:52 CEST 2010

 On 10/13/2010 10:21 AM, Caspar Smit wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a procedure to convert internal meta data to external meta
> data without loosing any data?
>
> I was thinking of something like this:
>
> 1. drbdadm down r0
> 2. drbdadm dump-md r0 >/tmp/metadata
> 3. edit config for r0 changing internal to external metadata.
> 4. drbdadm create-md r0
> 5. drbdmeta_cmd=$(drbdadm -d dump-md test-disk)
>     ${drbdmeta_cmd/dump-md/restore-md} /tmp/metadata
>
> 6. repeat steps 1-5 on the other node
> 7. drbdadm up r0 (both nodes)
>
> Is this the way to go?
In your proposal you bring r0 down on one node, so this is not a dual
primary setup I guess? If one node is down, why not simply change your
configuration (with a separate meta data disk) initialize and reconnect
again. It will start resyncing which will take some time. But apart from
that you will not loose any data. After the disks are in sync on both
nodes you could do the same on the other node.
In a dual primary setup a disconnect on one node should also work (one
node will be diskless during this maintenance time).
But why not stick to internal meta data?

Theo