[DRBD-user] dual primary DRBD, iSCSI and multipath possible?

Markus Hochholdinger Markus at hochholdinger.net
Mon Oct 4 21:56:12 CEST 2010

Hello,

Am 15.03.2010 um 15:47 Uhr schrieb Olivier LAMBERT
<lambert.olivier at gmail.com>:
> :D
> That's I'm using right now, but it's for Xen on the top.
> I think this is the only good reason to do that.

I'm also in the process of evaluating this (for a xen setup).

My setup would be:
On two nodes drbd with active/active (so xen live migration would work). On
each node export the drbd device with iscsi.
On each other node import the iscsi devices of both drbd nodes and put
multipath over it.

The tricky part now is how to handle failures. With this setup it is possible
that multipath switches between both drbd nodes. If we do this more than once
while we have a split brain, this would destroy our data!

So the goal would be to develope a good multipath strategy.

How do you do this?

My idea is to say multipath to stick to one path and only switch on an error.
Also you have to say multipath to NOT recover faulty paths autmatically to
prevent data loss in a split brain situation.

After a failure someone has to manually recover the drbd active/active devices
(if not done autmatically) and then (and ONLY then) to recover the faulty
path for multipath. And this on all nodes...

Or do I miss some features of drbd which could help here?