[DRBD-user] RedHat Clustering Services does not fence when DRBD breaks

Jakov Sosic jakov.sosic at srce.hr
Tue Nov 23 10:16:14 CET 2010

On 11/22/2010 08:04 PM, Joe Hammerman wrote:
> Well we’re running DRBD in Primary – Primary mode, so the service should
> be enabled on both machines at the same time.
>
> GFS breaks when DRBD loses sync, and both nodes become unusable, since
> neither can guarantee write integrity.  If one of the nodes fenced, when
> it rebooted, it would become at the worst secondary. Then the node that
> never fenced stays on line, and we have %100 uptime.
>
> This is a pretty non-standard setup, huh?

But what's the point of two-node cluster if your setup cannot withstand
the loss of one node. In the case of sync loss, one node should be
fenced, so the other can keep on working with mounted GFS. Your goal
should be to achieve that.

You should resolve it on DRBD level indeed, so when DRBD loses sync that
one node gets fenced... Something like:

disk {
   fencing resource-and-stonith;
}
handlers {
   outdate-peer "/sbin/obliterate-peer.sh"; # We'll get back to this.
}

You can get this script from:
http://people.redhat.com/lhh/obliterate-peer.sh

Also please take a look at: