[DRBD-user] Avoiding split brain

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu May 27 16:19:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:02:45AM -0400, Ben Timby wrote:
> Matt, I have two suggestions for you.
>
> The first is to look into dopd. Since DRBD does not have redundant
> communication channels, and Heartbeat DOES, dopd allows DRBD to
> leverage them.
>
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-dopd.html
>
> Dopd will ensure that when heartbeat moves your DRBD resource to
> primary on the remote node, that the local node cannot also stay
> primary, avoiding split-brain.

As he has fencing handlers configured,
that should be a dopd replacement:
> > resource r0 {
> >  disk {
> >    fencing resource-only;
> >  }
> >  handlers {
> >    fence-peer "/usr/lib/drbd/crm-fence-peer.sh";
> >    after-resync-target "/usr/lib/drbd/crm-unfence-peer.sh";
> >  }

May I point to this thread:
[Pacemaker] DRBD 2 node cluster and STONITH configuration
does drbd really need stonith?

http://www.mail-archive.com/pacemaker@oss.clusterlabs.org/msg04312.html

where I try to explain the various scenarios,
and what is needed to deal with them.

--
: Lars Ellenberg