[DRBD-user] four bonded gigabit NICs

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Thu May 13 17:09:24 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 13. Mai 2010 17:01:46 schrieb Bart Coninckx:
> Hi,
>
> would it make sense to use four bonded gigabit NICs when the DRBD storage
> is, let's say, a RAID 5 on 10K RPM SAS drives? Or would 2 cards be
> sufficient? I don't have the drives and the controller yet, so I have no
> idea on what their performance is.
>
> I'd like to order all hardwa of the dre at once, but it is hard to get a
grip on
> possible performance values.
>
> Anyone any "feel" for this?

the answer to this question mainly depends on the performance of your drives.
In any case I'd advise to use at least a boding of two interfaces. So you have
redundancy if one line fails.

From your measurements (netperf) we know that you get nearly 2 GB/s over this
line with the right bonding mode.

The rest really depends on the performance of your drives and what you want to
do with it. But from out measurments with bonnie we learned that the
performance of the drives if the bottleneck and not thethroughput of the
interfaces. At least not in our tests with 6 x 15k SAS drives in a RAID5 array
and a 2 Gbit bond.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42