[DRBD-user] truck based replication

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon May 10 19:42:20 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 03:09:57PM +0200, Katharina Haselhorst wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a question concerning the truck based replication. Following
> scenario: Host A is working with a device in primary role in
> standalone mode. It is continuously writing data to the device. Host
> B does not have any of the data and should be synchronized as far as
> possible to the device of host A.
>
> According to the instructions on the drbd website, I do drbdadm --
> --clear-bitmap new-current-uuid resource, archive the device images
> (including the metadata), send them to B and do a drbdadm
> new-current-uuid resource.
>
> My question: Is it possible for Host A to keep writing between the
> first command (with --clear-bitmap) and the archivation of the
> device image?

Yes.

Starting with old uuid, possibly partially dirty bitmap.

[A] Generate new uuid, clean bitmap.
	The now clean bitmap will be re-dirtied with
	everything that is written from now on.
[B] Disk gets pulled, imaged, whatever.
[C] Second new uuid generated.
	(*NOT* clearing the bitmap this time)
	This marks the end of the imaging/disk pulling.
	Bitmap contains everything that has been redirtied since [A]
[D] bitmap continues to be updated.
[E] Connect of image (from [B]) to current:
	normal bitmap based resync.
	Everything that has been re-dirtied since [A] will be resynced.

> Or do I have to suspend Host A (at least the
> application writing to that device) for that time?

No.
If you can minimize write activity between [A] and [E],
you will have a minimal resync.

--
: Lars Ellenberg