[DRBD-user] how to drbd the / filesystem device

Joao Ferreira gmail joao.miguel.c.ferreira at gmail.com
Mon May 3 19:26:32 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I've been reading and trying out drbd for the last 3 days. I know this
may sounds a bit crazy, but... here goes: I realy need to drbd my "/"
block device.

I have a basic understanding of drbd and most examples I've seen so far
point to drbd'ing a specific partition apart from the "core" OS
partitions like "/", "/var";

I don't know if drbd'ing the "/" partition is acutally an impossibility
"just because" or if there are ways to work around this and make the
kernel be able to boot the drbd and mount the root filesystem on it.

Like I said: I really don't know if this is a simple thing or a very
complex workaround or even totally impossible.

My problem is simple: boss want's it :)

Any pointers or some light on the matter would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Joao