[DRBD-user] Can someone help me configure SCST?

dbarker dbarker at visioncomm.net
Tue Mar 23 23:47:47 CET 2010

I have a totally trivial setup trying to make iscsi-scst work with drbd. I'm
having trouble finding documentation on the options for the scst system, but
someone has it working!

If I change my scst config to use /dev/sdb, scst loads it fine. iscsi-scst
creates a target and ESXi can format and use it. If I change my config to
use /dev/drbd0, scst won't load it. dmesg says:

 scst: SCST version 1.0.1.1 loaded successfully (max mem for commands 126MB,
per device 50MB)
 scst: Enabled features: Strict serializing, TRACING
 scst: Device handler "dev_disk" for type 0 registered successfully
 scst: Device handler "dev_disk_perf" for type 0 registered successfully
 scst: Virtual device handler vdisk for type 0 registered successfully
 scst: Virtual device handler vdisk_blk for type 0 registered successfully
 scst: Virtual device handler vdisk_null for type 0 registered successfully
 scst: Virtual device handler vcdrom for type 5 registered successfully
 dev_vdisk: Registering virtual BLOCKIO device disk01 (BLOCKIO)
 dev_vdisk: ***ERROR*** filp_open(/dev/drbd0) returned error -2
 scst: ***ERROR*** New device handler's vdisk_blk attach() failed: -2
 scst: Failed to attach SCSI target mid-level to virtual device disk01

scst.conf works, but isn't drbd:

[HANDLER vdisk]
DEVICE disk01,/dev/sdb,BLOCKIO,512
[ASSIGNMENT Default]