[DRBD-user] Detection of Logical Volume on nested LVM

Olivier LAMBERT lambert.olivier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 10:59:54 CET 2010

I've got your point. I know my first message is long and maybe
complicated. It seems you "jump" some lines. It's not "nested" LVM as
described in the doc (because I RTFM before try to ask help).

My problem is not located on DRBD hosts. I've run some test, and I can
really simplify the example. Please, read this, I think it's clear now
:
Let's say I export a simple physical volume with DRBD. So, NO LVM in
DRBD, just replicate "/dev/sdb" for example, and export it
(/dev/drbd0) on each DRBD host with iSCSI.

So, on ALL my clients (connected iSCSI), I saw with "fdisk -l" :
Disk /dev/sdb: 2998.8 GB, 2998869356544 bytes

So, my CLIENT1 connected to DRBD1, decide to create a volume group and
a logical volume.
Despite all my efforts (vgscan, pvscan, lvscan), CLIENT2 connected to
replicated DRBD2, cannot see anything ! No VG, no LV ! Nothing !

But, if I decide to do that on DRBD2 :
drbdadm disconnect ressource && drbdadm connect ressource

Just after THIS, I can see all the stuff I've created on CLIENT1.

So, it's NOT a question of LVM on DRBD, because in this case, I don't
use it anymore. I can undestand if LVM data's on client are not
replicated on each DRBD hosts, but WHY it works if I
disconnect/reconnect these two ? It doesn't have any sense to me....

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Olivier
XO Project