[DRBD-user] tuning?

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Sat Jun 5 16:47:37 CEST 2010

On Saturday 05 June 2010 16:27:18 Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been doing some experimenting to see how far I can push some old
> hardware into a virtualized environment - partially to see how much use
> I can get out of the hardware, and partially to learn more about the
> behavior of, and interactions between, software RAID, LVM, DRBD, and Xen.
>
> What I'm finding is that it's really easy to get into a state where one
> of my VMs is spending all of its time in i/o wait (95%+).  Other times,
> everything behaves fine.
>
> So... I'm curious about where the bottlenecks are.
>
> What I'm running:
> - two machines, 4 disk drives each, two 1G ethernet ports (1 each to the
> outside world, 1 each as a cross-connect)
> - each machine runs Xen 3 on top of Debian Lenny (the basic install)
> - very basic Dom0s - just running the hypervisor and i/o (including disk
> management)
> ---- software RAID6 (md)
> ---- LVM
> ---- DRBD
> ---- heartbeat to provide some failure migration
> - each Xen VM uses 2 DRBD volumes - one for root, one for swap
> - one of the VMs has a third volume, used for backup copies of files
>
> What I'd like to dig into:
> - Dom0 plus one DomU running on each box
> - only one of the DomUs is doing very much - and it's runnin about 90%
> idle, the rest split between user cycles and wait cycles
> - start a disk intensive job on the DomU (e.g., tar a bunch of files on
> the root LV, put them on the backup LV)
> - i/o WAIT goes through the roof
>
> It's pretty clear that this configuration generates a lot of complicated
> disk activity.  Since DRBD is at the top of the disk stack, I figure
> this list is a good place to ask the question:
>
> Any suggestions on how to track down where the delays are creeping in,
> what might be tunable, and any good references on these issues?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Miles Fidelman

I believe software RAID is not a good basis for this kind of setup. RAID6 is
neither. RAID10 or RAID50 would be better.

Test the low level storage with bonnie++ by bringing DRBD down first and have
it on run on the RAID6. If it hits below 110 MB/sec, that is your bottleneck.
If it above, you might to replace the sync NICs by a bond. This will give you
about 180 MB/sec in mode 0. Then test with bonnie++ on top of active DRBD
resource.

Good luck,

Bart