[DRBD-user] local mirror

Dawid Marcin Grzesiak dmg2010 at dmg.pl
Sat Feb 27 18:57:05 CET 2010

Hi,

I just wonder if I can use DRBD to asynchronously mirror two block devices
locally.

For example I want to have a primary (dedicated, so quite secure) server and
on the other hand secondary (VPS, so quite insecure).

I want to mirror block devices, but I want to keep it encrypted on VPS, but
not on dedicated server.

Sure I can set encrypted partition up on VPS and share it via DRBD, but then
the encryption key will need to be entered and will be stored in the RAM on
VPS.

Better is to map plain block device from secondary server on the primary
server, setup the encrypted partition there (thus encryption key never leave
the primary server) and then setup data mirroring locally.

I imagine that it is possible with NBD and RAID, but:
1. I'm worrying if NBD network protocol is stable enough.
2. This will be synchronized mirroring.
3. What about resynch? Is it have intelligent algorithm to make it fast and
save bandwidth?

Is it possible with DRBD?

Thanks,
dmg