[DRBD-user] kernel panic with rhel 5.4, drbd 8.3.2 (and 4k hard sector size on lower level device)

atp Andrew.Phillips at lmax.com
Fri Feb 26 14:54:01 CET 2010

Lars,

> > [root at drvms03 ~]# fdisk /dev/sda
> > Note: sector size is 4096 (not 512)
>                        ^^^^
>
> This was the important bit of information.
>
> We still use a meta data layout taylored to 512 byte hard sectors,
> and use a workaround with a "bounce page" for larger sectors.
> This workaround is not tested too often, and during some restructuring
> of the code back then, we try to use our bounce page before we allocate
> it :-(
>
> We are currently reworking our meta data layout,
> but for now, please use drbd 8.3.7 this patch:

 Many thanks for this. I found a sector size option on the storage array
and dropped it to 512, which also fixed the problem. I'll try the patch
and report back later today.

 Andy

Andrew Phillips
Head of Systems

www.lmax.com

Office: +44 203 1922509
Mobile: +44 (0)7595 242 900

LMAX | Level 2, Yellow Building | 1 Nicholas Road | London | W11 4AN

The information in this e-mail and any attachment is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). The e-mail may not be disclosed or used by any person other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If you are not a named recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. Any view or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.