[DRBD-user] DRBD 2.5TB Max Size?

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Tue Feb 16 21:51:52 CET 2010

On Tuesday 16 February 2010 21:14:14 Robinson, Eric wrote:
> >ext3 has a 2TB limitation without using GPT labels.
>
> Good lord, of course that's it. Silly me. Any way to change it now that
> the dang thing's already been formatted?

Am I the only one to find it strange that a file system with a supposed limit of
2TiB size shows 2.5TiB free space? Since I too have an ext3 file system with
2.2TiB of space of which a little more than 2TiB are already used, I do not
really believe the stated limit to be correct.

Wikipedia lists the maximum file system size as 2^32 blocks so with the usual
4KiB blocks ext3 should max out at 16TiB.

Btw. if you still want you can also upgrade your ext3 file system to ext4 using
tune2fs and mount. But since there is no data on it anyway, you can always
reformat. Shouldn't take that long...

Regards,
Steafn