[DRBD-user] LVM crash maybe due to a drbd issue (Maxence DUNNEWIND)

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Feb 2 17:17:39 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 02:23:28PM +0100, Heribert Tockner wrote:
> We have also the same Problem with Linux-Vserver

What, exactly, _is_ the same problem?
especially since you broke the threadding...  please?
how do you _know_ it is the same problem?
Do you have any (short) logs?
What did you do to trigger the "undisired behaviour"?
Did you have any other (resource) monitoring in place?

> 2.6.22.19-grsec2.1.11-vs2.2.0.7 with Grsecurity in a Vmware (ESX)
> Serverenvironment and LVM  . The Version of drbd was the actual 8.0.13 from
> Lenny.

Deutsch "aktuell" != English "actual". Immer.
http://sprachen-blog.de/false-friends-aktuell-actual/

> Today i Have installed the latest Version
>
> drbd-8.3.7 from the sources . I will monitor the issue.

Good :-)
make sure it is also _used_. (verify in /proc/drbd)

> The Problem comes with the time not only a with load and requests. I made
> test with dbench and recursive parallel processe on the installed Apache on
> differnet sites on the Vserver in drbd. This produces load about 70
> and more.
> There were no Problem. After 5 days the system hangs with drbd. i let
> you know about my tests.

Are you sure it would not hang without DRBD?
Funny memleaks somewhere?
TCP stack mistuned to break?
Does it also hang with DRBD unconnected?
What happens just before the hang?

If you can reproduce with 2.6.22.19-grsec2.1.11-vs2.2.0.7,
please try to also reproduce with something closer to kernel.org,
just so we can rule out any strange side effects there.

Good luck.

--
: Lars Ellenberg