[DRBD-user] nested LVM setup cannot use LV because of being in use (non functioning LVM filter)

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Thu Dec 16 16:40:59 CET 2010

Hi all,

Just upgraded a SLES10 DRBD setup with nested LVM to a SLES11SP1 one.
DRBD refuses to activate the underlying LV because it is in use. Also I could
not deactivate the VG. When investigating why not, it seemes that the LV's on
top of DRBD are visible eventhough the VG on top of DRBD is not detected by
vgscan.

The filter rule in lvm.conf is:

filter = ["a|/dev/sda5|", "a|drbd.*|", "r|.*|]

which should find the lower level VG and all VG's on top of /dev/drbd* once
they are there, but this filter seems to be disregarded and the PV's are seen
anyway, keeping DRBD away from having it's resources started.

Anyone knows how to taclke this?

Thank you,

B.