[DRBD-user] strange split-brain problem

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Tue Dec 7 10:09:46 CET 2010

On 12/06/2010 06:08 PM, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> So, why again resynchronizing almost 500Mb although the partition is not
> used at all (just mounted in a domU).

It does this based on the activity log. See
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-activity-log.html for the details.

> When I tried to manually attach the device I got error messages:
> "Split-Brain detected, dropping connection".

Split brain happens when the following happen in order:
1. you loose connection while having a primary
2. the other node becomes primary while still disconnected

> So, suddenly this one device is not connected anymore. All the other
> drbd devices are still connected and working fine - only this single
> device is making problems, although it has identical configuration.

So this is the device with the splitbrain condition?

You will need to resolve that, refer to
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-resolve-split-brain.html

Have you made sure that your /etc/rc6.d and rc0.d have "stop" links to
the drbd init script? We have seen splitbrain upon reboot as well, and I
believe that missing init links were the reason.

Regards,
Felix