[DRBD-user] How to convert existing lvm2 filesystem to use drbd

Bernie Wu Bernard_Wu at ncci.com
Wed Aug 18 21:10:21 CEST 2010

Hi Listers,
We currently have one guest with an existing VG ( vgora_dbms ) with 2 LV's ( lvdbms01 and lvdbms02 ) and some free space.  Before I create another guest with identical VG attributes, I would like to convert the current VG to be used and controlled by drbd.
My listing of vgdisplay  and /etc/drbd.conf follows:

# vgdisplay -v vgora_dbms
    Using volume group(s) on command line
    Finding volume group "vgora_dbms"
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vgora_dbms
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        2
  Metadata Sequence No  3
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                2
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                2
  Act PV                2
  VG Size               44.98 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              11516
  Alloc PE / Size       10240 / 40.00 GB
  Free  PE / Size       1276 / 4.98 GB
  VG UUID               cNHE4P-v5Kj-H208-9NyQ-h80D-yuT8-aBA3JX

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vgora_dbms/lvdbms01
  VG Name                vgora_dbms
  LV UUID                Pud0a0-pVfZ-GmE2-d2hp-8Zg7-Mcls-YvsopX
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                20.00 GB
  Current LE             5120
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:2

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vgora_dbms/lvdbms02
  VG Name                vgora_dbms
  LV UUID                MnPYDM-tAUT-f1w3-m52o-pXnX-66jx-2sm16U
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                20.00 GB
  Current LE             5120
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:3

  --- Physical volumes ---
  PV Name               /dev/dasdg1
  PV UUID               OkAxDf-YvdA-ehru-yb0S-8ytw-6uHH-DsfH8F
  PV Status             allocatable
  Total PE / Free PE    5758 / 638

  PV Name               /dev/dasdh1
  PV UUID               rVqwHH-P8jl-yfAt-jqeL-7Sx9-RziQ-E4eTb1
  PV Status             allocatable
  Total PE / Free PE    5758 / 638

# cat drbd.conf
global {
    disable-ip-verification;
}
common {
    protocol C;
}
resource dbms01 {
    device /dev/drbd01;
    disk   /dev/vgora_dbms/lvdbms01;
    meta-disk internal;
    on lnocsrq1 {
       address 172.27.100.211:7788;
    }
    on lnocsrq2 {
       address 172.27.100.212:7788;
    }
}
resource dbms02 {
    device /dev/drbd02;
    disk   /dev/vgora_dbms/lvdbms02;
    meta-disk internal;
    on lnocsrq1 {
       address 172.27.100.211:7788;
    }
    on lnocsrq2 {
       address 172.27.100.212:7788;
    }
}

When I run "drbdadm -c /etc/drbd.conf  create-md all "  I get the following error:

/etc/drbd.conf:23: conflicting use of IP '172.27.100.211:7788' ...
/etc/drbd.conf:12: IP '172.27.100.211:7788' first used here.

Any ideas on how to :

1.      convert an existing lvm2 filesystem to use drbd ?

2.      create several resources in /etc/drbd.conf

TIA
Bernie Wu

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.