[DRBD-user] DRBD9

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Aug 4 19:37:18 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 02:47:01PM +0200, Piotr Kandziora wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> My question is rather directed to LINBIT's guys. I am writing here,
> because I think that answers for my questions (that you can find
> below) will be useful for DRBD community.
>
> I have noticed that on LINBIT's website there are some details
> concerning DRBD version 9.
>
> What is current state of work if it comes about this project?
> When are you going to release initial version?
> On your website we can read about main features. Is this features
> list actual (maybe you can say what more is planned)?

Well, our development resources are limited, and sponsored features,
consulting, support, integration work,... has priority,
most of the time.

So it all happens much slower than some people would like
and there is no release date set for the initial version.

incomplete planned feature list in no particular order:

 * multiple Secondaries without stacking
 * support for daisy chaining of replication "hops"
 * "arbitrarily" large devices
 * full data log to support point-in-time recovery of arbitrary block data
 * support for time-shift replication (have one of the secondaries
   consistently lag behind by $configurable)
 * more than two Primaries
 * all sorts of performance improvements

Any particular reason you ask, a favorite feature you'd like to sponsor?

--
: Lars Ellenberg