[DRBD-user] Two NFS servers in passive-active

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Apr 5 15:52:21 CEST 2010

On Apr 5, 2010, at 5:16 AM, Olivier Le Cam wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have a setup with one NFS server over a couple of DRBD servers in
> active-passive mode. It is running just fine!
>
> Now I would like is to have a second NFS server also in passive-
> active but on the opposite DRBD server.
>
>  - node1: NFS server exporting /data1 (passive-active)
>  - node2: NFS server exporting /data2 (passive-active)
>  - if one node fails, the other one would then take over and export
> both shares (fail-over).
>
> As you can imagine I am concerned about maximizing resources usage
> taking advantage of having two servers.

HA means redundant hardware.  Full utilization of all hardware
(including your secondary nodes) means you don't really have HA.

Can a single server handle the load of serving both shares at an
acceptable level of performance?  If the answer is yes, why not just
put them on your current single primary?  If the answer is no, you
could setting yourself up for problems.

Maybe you could add a third server, which is usually the secondary for
both of your primary NFS shares?  Then you could survive the loss of 1
of your primaries with no impact to performance, but without needing
to add an entirely new 2-node cluster.  Just an idea if your current
primary, in the case your current primary couldn't serve both shares
simultaneously.