[DRBD-user] activating and installing one node without another

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Mon Sep 21 12:49:43 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 11:12 +0200, Bart Coninckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to migrate an existing server to a DRBD-Heartbeat cluster. The existing
> server unfortunately hasn't got enough diskspace available to accomodate the
> DRBD partition, so I need to reinstall it. My plan is to install the second
> node, configure DRBD on it with an absent second node and then completely
> reinstall the first node. This would require me to bring "up" the partition
> on the DRBD device without the other DRBD device on the other server being
> available until later. Is this possible?

Yes.

Do all the configuration as though there were two nodes, but set
"wfc-timeout 0;" to stop that node waiting for a partner.
Once you promote it to primary (probably via a split heartbeat cluster)
you should be good to go. (/proc/drbd should show Primary/Unknown)

When you bring the second node up (make sure the partition/device size
is the same!) and you've done the
	"drbdadm create-md $resource"
you should be able to
	"drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary $resource"
on the primary and watch them sync.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower