[DRBD-user] How to add a new DRBD resource on a production cluster

Schmidt, Florian florian.schmidt at centric.eu
Thu Sep 10 12:06:23 CEST 2009

Hi list,

i have to add a new DRBD-volume to our production cluster.

This are the steps I would do:

- create a new partition on both cluster nodes (fdisk)
- reboot both machines, so the kernel knows about the new partitions
- edit the /etc/drbd.conf and add the new resource (both nodes)
- create internal metadata with drbdadm create-md
- bringing the thing up with drbdadm up (both nodes?)
- doing the initial sync with drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer
primary
- create a filesystem on the device
- use it!

Did I miss something?

Will I have to create new special device files in /dev/ with mknod and
if so, what is the correct command for this?

TIA
Florian

Centric altro GmbH
Mittelbacher Str. 3
09224 Chemnitz
Germany

Phone  +49 371 8817 015
Fax    +49 371 8817 460
Mobile

Email  florian.schmidt at centric.eu
Web    www.centric-it.de

Neue E-Mail-Adresse per 1. August 2009: mailto:florian.schmidt at centric.eu

Special Expertise Partner SAP for Human Capital Management

Geschaftsfuhrung: Gerard Sanderink ~ Sitz der Gesellschaft: Oberhausen
Registergericht: Duisburg HRB 17807 ~ Steuer-Nr.: 124/5704/1303 ~ USt.-Id.-Nr.: DE246840541

The information included in this message is personal and/or confidential and intended exclusively for the addressees as stated. This message and/or the accompanying documents may contain confidential information and should be handled accordingly. If you are not the intended reader of this message, we urgently request that you notify Centric immediately and that you delete this e-mail and any copies of it from your system and destroy any printouts immediately. It is forbidden to distribute, reproduce, use or disclose the information in this e-mail to third parties without obtaining prior permission from Centric. We expressly point out that there are risks associated with the use of e-mail. Centric and the companies within the group shall not accept any liability whatsoever for damage resulting from the use of e-mail. Legally binding obligations can only arise for Centric by means of a written instrument, signed by an authorized representative of Centric.