[DRBD-user] drbd + 10gig network

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Thu Oct 15 18:26:51 CEST 2009

Christopher Chen wrote:
> I'm a little confused. DRBD and iSCSI are totally different things.
> What exactly are you trying to do, architecturally?
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Mike Lovell <mike at dev-zero.net> wrote:
>
>> first off, hello everybody. i'm somewhat new to drbd and definitely new to
>> the mailing list.
>>
>> i am try to set up a cheap alternative to a iscsi san using some somewhat
>> commodity hardware and drbd. i happen to have some 10 gigabit network
>> interfaces around so i thought it would be a great interconnect for the drbd
>> replication and probably as the interconnect to the rest of the network.

they are different things. i am planning on setting up two servers with
a lot of storage space on then with drbd sync'ing the data between the
two. then run one or more iscsi targets on top of the drbd volume that
multiple iscsi initiators will connect to. i'm also going to use either
heartbeat or pacemaker to set up automatic failover of the drbd roles
and the iscsi targets. this should give me a somewhat cheap alternative
to buying san.

there is a brief overview. the current problem though is that drbd is
having trouble completing a sync over the 10 gig interfaces.

mike