[DRBD-user] 8.3.5 Stalling on sync

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Wed Nov 25 13:41:08 CET 2009

Hello,

On 2009-11-25 12:50, Igor Neves wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is why, Linbit should publish in the documentation, a list of
> hardware (NIC's) tested and certified as fully working.
>
> I have seen this problem here in the list a couple of times in the
> last month. It's kind of sad spend time and a lot of money in good
> enterprise network hardware, and in the end things don't work as they
> should.

There is no way we can do that for all the distros and kernels we support.

We can also not assume responsibility for kernel network stack bugs,
driver bugs, firmware bugs, you name it. Sorry, but what you ask for is
plain impossible. And, the underlying assumption that your hardware and
its driver is always right, and it must be DRBD that's wrong, does not
hold up in our experience. Remember broken TCP checksum offloading on
some Intel Gigabit cards?

We will double and triple check customer's hardware as part of a support
contract. We do also pinpoint individual software or hardware issues as
part of support or consultancy engagements. And we try to do what we can
in terms of alerting our user community to known hardware issues. And,
we do have hardware partners who take part in our DRBD Certified
Platform program. And that encompasses just what the name implies,
complete certified hardware platforms. Which you get full cluster stack
support on.

But we won't put up a "certified" NIC list like you are asking for. It
just makes zero sense.

Cheers,
Florian