[DRBD-user] compiling 8.3.6, sane configure defaults

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Mon Nov 23 13:35:50 CET 2009

Eelco,

On 2009-11-20 09:41, Eelco Jepkema wrote:
>> #2, that mkdir is fine as it uses a correct default localstatedir path.
>
> Well, yes and no. Yes, it creates the path as stated in the Makefiles as
> localstatedirpath but, since I mentioned that some sourcecode is
> hardwired to /var/lib/drbd, this localstatedirpath will, as far as I can
> tell, not be used by anything.

This is being changed to a properly autoconfigured header as I am typing
this.

>>> Ultimately, i'm not a fan of installing to /usr/local/etc et.al because
>>> i don't believe many tools will be able to use them correctly?
>>
>> Use --prefix=/usr.
>>
>>> Debian
>>> init script fixer update-rc.d for instance won't find the drbd init
>>> script in /usr/local/etc/init.d/drbd. I would think the defaults for
>>> this would rather be just normal /etc and /etc/init.d.
>>
>> Use --sysconfdir=/etc.
>
> I know I can override the defaults, however, I was thinking that doing...
>
> ./configure; make all; make install
>
> ...would and should at least be likely (I know its not possible to
> account for all situations) to leave functioning software that wouldn't
> need tinkering one way or the other. With the /var/lib/drbd references
> in source fixed that should be possible though so we'll leave it at that.

There is no easy way to satisfy your ./configure & make & make install
requirement _and_ at the same time be in line with autoconf defaults
(which tend to mirror the FHS). No matter what we do, we'll either
dissatisfy someone who wants to type as little as possible, or someone
who has used autoconf before and who expects us to adhere to its
conventions. Arbitrarily, we chose to stick to autoconf's conventions.

Thus, you can either go with

./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
make
sudo make install

... or you can peruse
http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/autoconf/Site-Defaults.html#Site-Defaults
to learn how to tweak your local autoconf defaults. Or you build an RPM,
where the %configure macro will set the correct configure flags
automatically.

Cheers,
Florian