[DRBD-user] LINBIT getting involved in Heartbeat

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Nov 17 11:51:07 CET 2009

On 2009-11-17 09:47, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17. November 2009, Florian Haas wrote:
>
>> In contrast, OpenAIS/Corosync has two issues which are likely to affect
>> specifically DRBD based 2-node clusters, and happen to be largely
>> irrelevant for larger or non DRBD based clusters:
>>
>> - redundant rings are suffering from breakage;
>> - cluster messaging does not support unicast.
>
> Also it would seem that OpenAIS does not support serial links between nodes
> which makes it a NOGO for me. After years of being indoctrinated (for example
> by you :) that having several independent communication paths is mandatory, I
> just cannot go back that easily.

Yes, having several independent comm paths is a good idea, and as I said
OpenAIS/Corosync is currently lacking in that regard. However, we
definitely do advise *against* using serial links for cluster
communications, and have done so ever since we started recommending
using Heartbeat 2.x in CRM mode.

With Heartbeat and Pacemaker, just as with Heartbeat 2.x with built-in
CRM, don't use serial links. Use redundant network links. Serial links
will break once your CIB reaches a certain size, and the cluster manager
decides it must push a full CIB across the wire.

Cheers,
Florian