[DRBD-user] LVM PV on drbd block device

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 17:24:08 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM, hans morbus2000 <morbus2000 at web.de> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > Hello everyone, the first sorry about my poor english.
> >
> > I have configured an drbd8 cluster with two nodes so I have got a
> > /dev/drbd1 device in both nodes. Later I sync the nodes with "drbdadm --
> > --overwrite-data-of-peer primary" and the last I did "pvcreate
> /dev/drbd1"
> > on primary node.
> >
> [snip]
> on this node
> # vgchange -a n vgontop
> # drbdadm secondary drbdx
>
> on the other node
> # drbdadm primary drbdx
> # vgchange -a y vgontop
>
> --> now, lv on top of drbd to be available on both nodes
>
> Regards
> Andreas

For Juan Antonio:
which kind of cluster?
which kind of Linux distribution/release?
which kind of usage then of the LVs/FS to be created?

For Andreas:
this is ok for initialization.
But then you have the same problems when you have to create LVs.
You need to de-activate VG on one node, demote drbd role, and activate on
the other... because LVM itslef is not cluster aware.

Preferable, but depending also on the OS kind and licensing, to use drbd in
dual primary mode AND Cluster LVM (with CLVMD that depends on cman and
cluster-storage channel if using Red Hat, so with economical impact....)

Gianluca