[DRBD-user] Dual-primary mode successive update

Tomas Lavicky tomas.lavicky at racom.eu
Wed May 20 16:07:25 CEST 2009

Hi,
I run two node HP Proliant DL140 / Ubuntu 8.04 LTS / Heartbeat 2.1.3-2 cluster
with bunch of KVM virtual guests for almost one year. Images for virtual
servers are stored in two DRBD 8.0.11 / OCFS2 1.3.9 resources, both in
dual-primary mode. I need to upgrade cluster now. My idea is:

1. move all virtual servers to node 1
2. stop Heartbeat and switch to single-primary mode
3. upgrade node 2 to Ubuntu 8.10 (DRBD 8.2.6)
4. switch to dual-primary mode and start Heartbeat

If everything would work well I want to continue to upgrade node 1. I can't
stop cluster and upgrade both nodes at once. I suppose it's not possible to
upgrade running system. But I have no idea about possiblity to combine DRBD
8.0.11 and 8.2.6 nodes. Would mirroring work well then? And should I await
some problems in dual-primary mode?
Thanks for your ideas.
Tomas