[DRBD-user] CentOS 4.6 udev problem with DRBD

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 20 15:42:23 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 09:25:00AM -0400, Ken Dechick wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>
>    Yes once I remove the udev rule for drbd the whole "wierd" links
> things goes away, and all my devices work as expected again. So
> without relying on udev what were most people doing to create the
> /dev/drbd0 at boot? Can I do something as simple as adding a mknod
> command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local? I have one last question: upon a reboot
> my primary node does not come up as primary, I have to issue an
> 'drbdadm primary r0' to get it to come up. Is this normal?

uhm.
I'd expect that the device node "appears" once the gendisk is created
internally, which is for the first "dmsetup <anything>" command, that
carries the "--create-device" flag.
which normally should be the first "attach".

so in short, the /dev/drbd0 should be there on a just started up
secondary as well.

though you don't need it until it is switched to primary.

>    I can work around the udev thing I am sure, but for many reasons I
> think I am going to try all of this under CentOS 5.2 x86_64. I have
> been pushing to move up to this version for a while now and this udev
> issue helped seal the deal with "those who make the decisions" at my
> company.

yeah, these things are not unheared of.
 ;)

> Thanks for a the help, I certainly appreciate it! I have to prove to
> my company that this will work for us before I can get them to approve
> buying a support contract so your 'free' assistance on this was a huge
> help to me!

glad to hear that.

--
: Lars Ellenberg