[DRBD-user] CentOS 4.6 udev problem with DRBD

Ken Dechick kend at medent.com
Tue May 19 17:30:01 CEST 2009

Hi Lars, thanks for the reply.

I am still completely confused as to what is going on here. This is a standard CentOS 4.6 install. I have not done anything out of place. I have even completely reinstalled the OS, and DRBD on both of my nodes and still have this issue. Yes, if I remove the 65-drbd.rules from /etc/udev/rules.d things go back to normal. How could it be that udev in RHEL4/CentOS4 could be this broken and yet it is not a known issue? The drbd0 device I manually created does not survive a reboot - should I be creating a boot script to recreate the device at each bootup since udev seems to have a problem?
It seems that this an old older udev (version 039), I see that CentOS 5.X uses udev 095 - that's a pretty huge leap! By what I am seeing it would seem that ANY RHEL4 system should should be suffering from the same problem. Judging by your response I have to assume this is NOT the case.

Since I have ruled out something "funny" going on by complete reload of the OS and DRBD on both node machines, which direction should I head in next? Is there ANY known issue with the older 039 version of udev? Why is it that anything else which uses udev works perfectly fine? (USB modems, other hard drives, ect).

I really need some advice on what to do next!

-Thanks!

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 05:02:16PM -0400, Ken Dechick wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am new to DRBD, and have so far found itvery easy to use. I am having an issue however with udev. RunningCentOS 4.6 on 2.6.9-67.0.22 kernel - my /dev/drbd0 device is not beingcreated. Everything else seems to be working correctly. Running DRBD8.3.1 built from source. In looking at my /dev directory there are oddentires:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx? 1 root root?????? 17 May 19 01:50 cd0 -> /dev/$env{DEVICE}
> lrwxrwxrwx? 1 root root?????? 12 May 18 21:50 cdrom -> $env{DEVICE}
> lrwxrwxrwx? 1 root root?????? 12 May 18 21:50 dvd -> $env{DEVICE}
> brw-------? 1 root root 147,?? 0 May 19 02:05 $env{DEVICE}
> lrwxrwxrwx? 1 root root?????? 12 May 19 01:50 par0 -> $env{DEVICE}
> lrwxrwxrwx? 1 root root?????? 12 May 18 21:50 ram -> $env{DEVICE}
>
> I have configured hundreds of servers withCentOS 4.4-4.5 and never seen entries like this before.? I was sure the$ was not a valid character to use in a device (or file) name. Aftersome looking I found a co-incidence: this same odd-ball string existsin the udev script for drbd:
>
> KERNEL=="drbd*", \
> ????????IMPORT{program}="/sbin/drbdadm sh-udev minor-%m", \
> ????????NAME="$env{DEVICE}", \
> ????????SYMLINK="drbd/by-res/$env{RESOURCE} drbd/by-disk/$env{DISK}"
>
> I appears to me that this udev script (came from the 8.3.1 source
> code) does not work properly with my distribution/kernel. Can anyone
> help me out here? I can of course create the /dev/drbd0 manually
> (mknod -m 0660 /dev/drbd0 b 147 0) but I would like to get to the
> bottom of what the problem is here. I am far from a udev expert never
> having had an issue with it in the past. Is this a udev rule issue or
> is my udev version simply too old?? I am running udev: 039-10.19.el4.

Kenneth M DeChick
Linux Systems Administrator
Community Computer Service, Inc.
(315)-255-1751 ext154
http://www.medent.com
kend at medent.com
"You canna change the laws of physics, Captain; I've got to have thirtyminutes! "

.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner &amp; ClamAV. <BR>
 <BR>
This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use <BR>
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this e-mail <BR>
or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail, and permanently <BR>
delete this e-mail. <BR>