[DRBD-user] CentOS 4.6 udev problem with DRBD

Ken Dechick kend at medent.com
Mon May 18 23:02:16 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I am new to DRBD, and have so far found it very easy to use. I am having an issue however with udev. Running CentOS 4.6 on 2.6.9-67.0.22 kernel - my /dev/drbd0 device is not being created. Everything else seems to be working correctly. Running DRBD 8.3.1 built from source. In looking at my /dev directory there are odd entires:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       17 May 19 01:50 cd0 -> /dev/$env{DEVICE}
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       12 May 18 21:50 cdrom -> $env{DEVICE}
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       12 May 18 21:50 dvd -> $env{DEVICE}
brw-------  1 root root 147,   0 May 19 02:05 $env{DEVICE}
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       12 May 19 01:50 par0 -> $env{DEVICE}
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       12 May 18 21:50 ram -> $env{DEVICE}

I have configured hundreds of servers with CentOS 4.4-4.5 and never seen entries like this before.  I was sure the $ was not a valid character to use in a device (or file) name. After some looking I found a co-incidence: this same odd-ball string exists in the udev script for drbd:

KERNEL=="drbd*", \
        IMPORT{program}="/sbin/drbdadm sh-udev minor-%m", \
        NAME="$env{DEVICE}", \
        SYMLINK="drbd/by-res/$env{RESOURCE} drbd/by-disk/$env{DISK}"

I appears to me that this udev script (came from the 8.3.1 source code) does not work properly with my distribution/kernel. Can anyone help me out here? I can of course create the /dev/drbd0 manually (mknod -m 0660 /dev/drbd0 b 147 0) but I would like to get to the bottom of what the problem is here. I am far from a udev expert never having had an issue with it in the past. Is this a udev rule issue or is my udev version simply too old?  I am running udev: 039-10.19.el4.

-Thanks!

Kenneth M DeChick
Linux Systems Administrator
Community Computer Service, Inc.
(315)-255-1751 ext154
http://www.medent.com
kend at medent.com
"You canna change the laws of physics, Captain; I've got to have thirtyminutes! "

.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner &amp; ClamAV. <BR>
 <BR>
This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use <BR>
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this e-mail <BR>
or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail, and permanently <BR>
delete this e-mail. <BR>