[DRBD-user] Request for Testing: New drbd packages for CentOS 4/5

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue May 12 18:35:18 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 05:08:01PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> > On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:18:51PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> > > A "git clone" from today does not build for me on RHEL5/CentOS:
> > >
> > > In file included from /builddir/build/BUILD/drbd-8.2.7.git_20090512/_kmod_build_/drbd/drbd_int.h:1351,
> > >                  from /builddir/build/BUILD/drbd-8.2.7.git_20090512/_kmod_build_/drbd/drbd_bitmap.c:31:
> > > /builddir/build/BUILD/drbd-8.2.7.git_20090512/_kmod_build_/drbd/drbd_wrappers.h:484: error: static declaration of 'proc_create' follows non-static declaration
> > > include/linux/proc_fs.h:113: error: previous declaration of 'proc_create' was here
> >
> > thats what you distributors get for producing frankenstein kernels,
> > which pretend to be 2.6.18, but actually are a mixture of 2.6.(-3 .. 42)
>
> *snicker*
>
> > (btw, your -92 kernel would still build. the -128 one has its own
> > backport of this proc_create).
> >
> > for context, read the lines preceeding that drbd_wrappers.h:484
> > mentioned in the error message.
> >
> > you could try to echo  "#define KERNEL_HAS_PROC_CREATE" >> drbd/linux/drbd_config.h
> > and see how far that gets you.
>
> Yes, that builds the kernel module. Would you advise to use a current
> git clone over the sle11-hae tag? Assuming that I want to offer
> drbd-8.2.x in parallel to drbd-8.3.x :)

in general, git head is "better" than the last release.
"most of the time".

recently there have been a bunch of cleanups on the 8.3 branch,
partly triggered by the lkml posts and reviews there, and partly
driven by the usual bug-report feedback from our test clusters and
users/customers.
some of these cleanups and fixes have also been relevant for 8.0 and
8.2, and there are some minor fixes that need still to be cherry picked
down to 8.2.
some of the cleanups change a lot of code,
"supposedly" without changing functionality,
by semi-automatic renaming stuff, or moving code snippets around.
but as you know that can be dangerous, anyways...

I _think_ drbd 8.2 git head as of today
is at least as stable as the sle11-hae tag,
and includes some important bugfixes, still.
but neither has received the amount of stress testing by linbit
that we do prior to releases, so ymmv.

--
: Lars Ellenberg