[DRBD-user] DRBD data integrity check

Maros Timko timkom at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:37:06 CET 2009

2009/3/27 Trinh, Hung <HTrinh at crossbeamsys.com>

>  Hello list,
>

> I’m running DRBD 8.2.5 on a couple of 64bit SMP PCs with CentOs 5.1.
>
> The PCs have one DRBD partition on /dev/sda3 and was completely synced.
>
> PC1 is Primary and PC2 is Secondary.
>
> After they were synced, I brought down the drbd device on PC2.
>

> On PC2 (secondary node):
>
> I ran fsck and mounted the /dev/sda3 to make sure the files look good.
>
> I changed the content of 1 file, umount the /dev/sda3 and brought the drbd
> device up.
>

> The /proc/drbd on both PCs showed both nodes’s ds are up-to-date.
>
> I then brought down drbd on PC2 (secondary node), did fsck on /dev/sda3 and
> mounted
>
> The file I modified did not get updated to match with the Primary node,
> PC1.
>

> My questions:
>
> 1. Is this a correct behavior?
>
> Yes, it is. This is how DRBD is implemented - it is a kernel module that
acts as a block-device driver. If you omit it when modifying the data, it
has no way to recognise the modifications and propagate them.

>  2. If so, how can I fix it without going through a full sync?

DRBD 8.2.7+ implement verify algorithm - compare device blocks using hash
algorithms. It executes the out-of-date handler if it finds blocks that
"look" differently between nodes. After that you can just reconnect
secondary device, resync should start automatically.

>   3. If so, is there a way to vadilate the integrity of DRBD devices?
>
> 4. If not, is this a bug? or I did something wrong?

You should not modify backing device directly, you should never modify
backing device on secondary node. I'm not sure if verify algorithm can fix
100% of manually created inconsistencies.

Regards.