[DRBD-user] Question about the 'ping' mechanism

Iustin Pop iustin at google.com
Tue Mar 17 09:57:48 CET 2009

Hi,

I've searched the docs (and slightly the sources) but I can't find a
definitive answer about the following. Note that I'm using DRBD 8.0.12,
not latest version.

The man page for drbdsetup makes it sound like both ends of a drbd pair
will ping the other in case of no activity. However, in practice on an
unused device, only one of the two TCP connections that is used by the
DRBD pair sees pings; the other one sees no traffic at all.

(This would not usually be a problem, except that if one has iptables
and conntrack enabled on the machine, and the device is not used for
long enough time, the second TCP connection will be forgotten by the
conntrack module)

So, does anyone have more information about the ping rules? I.e. am I
seeing this behaviour due to old version, or is this expected?

thanks,
iustin