[DRBD-user] State change failed: Device is held open by someone

Martin Gerhard Loschwitz martin.loschwitz at linbit.com
Mon Mar 16 11:25:40 CET 2009

Peter Funk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today I tried to find out, who is the "someone" in the following
> drbd syslog messages:
> .... State change failed: Device is held open by someone
> ... drbd0:   state = { cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate r--- }
> ... drbd0:  wanted = { cs:Connected st:Secondary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate r--- }
>
> Unfortunately I had no success.
>
> Searching the archives I've noticed similar questions came up
> here on the list earlier:
> http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2008-November/010706.html
> http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2008-August/009954.html
> http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2007-August/007338.html
> (I'm not using ocfs2: The answer Lars Ellenberg gave in the
> last citiation didn't apply to my situation here).
>
> I've looked into source and found in drbd_main.c, that the message
> above is given, if( ns.role == Secondary && mdev->open_cnt )
>
> Can you imagine a race scenario, where the reference counter ``open_cnt``
> might be incremented or decremented wrong?  Especially on a dual
> quad core (menaing it has 8 active CPU cores) SMP machine?
>
> Any hints, how to find out?
>
> Regards and many thanks in advance, Peter

Hi,

just a blind shot: Do you run Debian and do you maybe have Etch with
the "multipath-tools"-package installed? If that is the case, make
sure that the udev-rules for multipath are disabled, because other-
wise, multipath-tools would attach to the drbd devices and make the
rest go foobar.

M.

--
: Martin G. Loschwitz			Tel +43-1-8178292-63  :
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH	Fax +43-1-8178292-82  :