[DRBD-user] Urget - getting error -40

Jeff Orr jeff at attributor.com
Fri Mar 13 18:20:34 CET 2009

drbd-user-request at lists.linbit.com wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:31:51 +0530
> From: mihir jha <mihirjha.hbti at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] Urget - getting error -40
> To: drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am getting  error no -40
>>
>> md_offset 1028059136
>> al_offset 1028026368
>> bm_offset 1027993600
>>
>> Found ext3 filesystem which uses 22025040 kB
>> current configuration leaves usable 1003900 kB
>>
>> Device size would be truncated, which
>> would corrupt data and result in
>> 'access beyond end of device' errors.
>> You need to either
>> * use external meta data (recommended)
>> * shrink that filesystem first
>> * zero out the device (destroy the filesystem)
>> Operation refused.
>>
>> Command 'drbdmeta /dev/drbd0 v08 /dev/md1 internal *create*-md' terminated
>> with exit code *40*
>>
>>> drbdadm *create*-md *drbd*-resource-0: exited with code *40*
>>>
>> If I need to srink my partition, please let me know should I go about it.
>> Does destroying the file system will work? How should I go about it?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mihir
Are you trying to create a DRBD resource on top of an existing file
system? Or do you want to create a new, empty DRBD resource? DRBD is
trying to warn you that there is a file system on /dev/md1 already, in
case you do not want to destroy it.

Here is how I would go about destroying the existing file system:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md1 bs=1k count=5k (should be enough to destroy
the superblock and probably the first backup)
drbdadm create-md drbd-resource-0

Regards,
Jeff Orr