[DRBD-user] Drbd + LVM snapshots?

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:07:56 CET 2009

Stefan Seifert wrote:
> On Thursday 12 March 2009 14:34:03 Hari Sekhon wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used Drbd with LVM snapshots?
>>
>> I have lvm on top of drbd so that I can try snapshotting the contents of
>> the main storage on the primary node while it has it mounted.
>>
>> I really want to both replicate (which is working well) and also to take
>> snapshots of the main area some how.
>> Can anyone tell me if what I am trying to do is completely off or if
>> this can be done in another way?
>>

> I have it the other way round: my drbd device is on top of an lv. Makes
> resizing trivial and allows me to make snapshots for backups. Works like a
> charm.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan

Your snapshots are local and not replicated then?

Have you actually mounted a snapshot of a drbd device, is the filesystem
operational?

As far as I can tell, this is the one stumbling block, actually getting
the snapshot of this drbd data volume to be mountable/usable... since
the filesystem itself is still sitting on drbd which I am sure does some
block fiddling (perhaps incidentally rather than intentionally) to
prevent mounting, the same sort of thing as when you try to mount the
underlying block device by mistake...

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities