[DRBD-user] Partitioning a drbd device

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Wed Mar 11 15:55:48 CET 2009

Hi

I'm looking at kvm virtualisation and the pretty nice virt-manager.
Thanks Florian for making me look into it! :)

So while setting up a kvm on top of a drbd device, the setup process
partitioned the drbd device into root and swap partitions.

# fdisk -l /dev/drbd2
Disk /dev/drbd2: 32.2 GB, 32211234816 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3916 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x09fffa0f
/dev/drbd2p1               1        3916    31455238+  83  Linux

I talked to Brian Hellman on IRC and he (quoting Lars) sort of said it
was not possible to partition a drbd device so I am pretty confused
here. Didn't I just do that?

So what I'd like to know is whether this is a supported setup and
considered save to do/use.

Searching for "partition drbd" was not exactly helpful as you might imagine.

Thanks in advance
Dominik